Sunday, April 17, 2011

From croissants to Kaiser buns .......and the Royal Fold




Today was a full day starting with the Vienna marathon.

Did I tweak your curiosity? Yes, we secretly travelled here to run in the Vienna marathon! Not a chance. It's more like we are here to run from one coffee and dessert place to another!









Our day started with a wonderful buffet breakfast at our hotel where kaiser buns were on the menu, as well as cold cuts, cheese, yogurt, German bread and coffee!!!!
Next to the subway station next door to buy a 48 hr ticket for Vienna transport, then we headed off to the centre of town. First stop was St. Stephen's cathedral, An enormous, historic gothic church in the center of town. Today was Palm Sunday - take a look at the unique 'palms' distributed at mass, pussy willows with a sprig of a green vine.

















A leisurely walk through the center of Vienna led us to the Sissy museum (Empress Elizabeth) - the mysterious, narcissistic and beautiful wife of Emperor Franz Josef who ruled for 68 years. This woman was extremely unique and odd. It took her a day to wash her hair with a mixture of egg yolk and cognac, took 3 hours to style her hair, exercised incessantly in her home, left two of her kids with her mother in law, and went on vacation for years for 'health reasons'.






This was also the former winter home of the Hapsburg Empire. Viewing the lavish apartments was like walking through Versailles. Look at the beautiful porcelain, table settings, cutlery and tea cups.




































Uh um - drum roll!!!!!!!
Ladies and gentlemen - here is The Royal Fold (not royal flush). Look at the way the napkin is intricately folded. This was placed at every banquet table setting in the castle and apparently there were only 2 people who mastered the skill and art of The Royal Fold. Imagine having that job. Wonder if Kate and William will eventually have their own royal fold.








Pangs of hunger led us to the famous Cafe Sacher - home of the Sachertorte cake. Here is a pic of our lunch. (Bruno will appreciate this photo)(and Claire's mouth will be watering)
























We finished the day at the one of Mozart's apartments where much inspiration led him to compose the 'Figaro' and many other famous pieces of music.








I get a lot of startled looks when taking pictures with my ipad2. It's like kinda going back in time. Instead of using my 3 inch camera I take out my 10 x 6 notepad point and shoot. So far I haven't used my camera and not sure if I will. The pics are not the best quality but I am having a blast with it and I am using all the PDF info files that I have have downloaded on each city and of course wherever I can find wifi I connect. A very useful and lavish toy. I am certain that Sissy would approve.







Tomorrow we'll travel back to the city center for a little more touring and tomorrow evening we have reserved a tour, dinner and a concert at Schonbrunn Palace. Until then gute nacht von Wien.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: